National Defence / Canadian Armed Forces
Senior CAF Appointments and Promotions 2023
The Canadian Armed Forces continues to “add new rigour and science” to its promotion-selection process, beginning first with General officers and Flag officers. This evolved process is taking longer than has traditionally been the case, and thus the delay in promotion announcements. When announcing the 2023 list in April, Chief of the Defence Staff, General Wayne Eyre, noted that he appreciates “the additional stress this imposes on members and families in an already stressful environment. the team continues to put maximum effort into the timely staffing and approval of these promotions and appointments.”
General Officer and Flag Officer promotions and appointments 2023
- Major-General M.H.L. Bourgon was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-General and will remain appointed Acting Chief of Military Personnel and Acting Commander Military Personnel Command, in Ottawa.
- Brigadier-General J.E.S. Boucher was promoted to the rank of Major-General and appointed Director General culture change, in Ottawa, replacing Rear-Admiral R.L. Patterson.
- Colonel D. Chafai was promoted to the rank of Brigadier-General and appointed Deputy Commander 2nd Canadian Division in Montreal, replacing BGen J.G.S. Tardif.
- Colonel S.M. Parsons was promoted to Brigadier-General acting while so employed, and appointed Task Force Commander, Op Proteus, in Jerusalem, replacing BGen P.H.G.H. Robichaud.
- Colonel J.J.C. Potvin was promoted to the rank of Brigadier-General and appointed Deputy Director General Continental Defence Policy, in Ottawa, replacing BGen T.A. Morehen.
The following General Officers and Flag Officers were promoted to substantive rank
- Rear-Admiral D.J. Patchell was promoted substantive in rank and remained appointed Vice Commander United States 2nd Fleet, in Norfolk, Virginia
- Commodore K.H. Coffen was promoted substantive in rank, remained appointed Director General Maritime Equipment Program Management, in Ottawa
- Brigadier-General G.M. Bourque was promoted substantive in rank and remained appointed Deputy Commander 3rd Canadian Division, in Edmonton
- Brigadier-General D.J.A. Goulet was promoted substantive in rank and remained appointed Chief of Staff, Canadian Forces Intelligence command, in Ottawa
- Commodore J.R.M. Thibault was promoted substantive in rank and remained appointed Project Manager, Canadian Surface Combatant project, in Ottawa.
Additional General Officer and Flag Officer promotions, appointments and retirements will be announced at a later date.